Armed bandits have attacked Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State, kidnapping hundreds of schoolgirls.
This is coming barely a week after the abduction of dozens of schoolboys in Kagara, Niger State.
Initial reports had put the figure of the missing students at 300, but sources in the school said the number of abducted students is “about 500”.
Officials who pleaded anonymity told DAILY NIGERIAN on Friday morning that there were over 600 students in the school, and less than 100 schoolgirls remain in the school after the invasion.
“We took out the register this morning and made a headcount. Some students panicked and ran into town. But in the interim, we can say about 500 missing,” said the source.
No officials were abducted by the bandits, who briskly shepherded the schoolgirls into the bush.
- 5 Issues Nigeria Must Address to Ensure Every Child Can Access a Quality Education - April 14, 2021
- FOH MODEL CITIZENSHIP HANDBOOK: Raising Model Citizens as Beacons of Hope for the Nation - April 13, 2021
- FOH PUBLICATIONS - April 13, 2021
- FOH VALUE ORIENTATION HANDBOOK: Quotes and Nuggets for young Minds - April 13, 2021
- Education News Update-JAMB: How to register for 2021 UTME - April 13, 2021
- Education News Update: WAEC Announces New date for 2021 WASSCE - April 13, 2021
- Education News update: Lawmaker pushes for Improved Education - April 13, 2021
- April 2021 Silent Generals: Conversations with Pastor Muyiwa Areo - April 8, 2021
- CHALLENGES OF THE QUALITY OF EDUCATION IN NIGERIA - April 8, 2021
- KIDNAPPING AND INSURGENCY IN NIGERIA: A CALL TO ACTION - April 8, 2021